Staff Software Engineer - Product
Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we've helped our partners prevent 34 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you'll join us!
About the Role
The Product Engineering team at Afresh is responsible for building out the suite of products that our customers use every day, whether it’s an individual produce manager looking to order their store’s groceries for the day, corporate supervisors looking to view individual store performance, or everything in between. Grocers rely on these solutions within Afresh’s Fresh Operating System to improve the accuracy and efficiency of their workflows, all contributing to our goal of reducing food waste.
You will be playing a key role in building out these solutions for our customers. Our team and products are growing at a rapid pace, which means that there will be plenty of opportunities for ownership and making your impact felt. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Directly impact our mission of reducing fresh food waste by working on products to enable grocers to better manage and optimize fresh food merchandising and supply chain
- Lead complex, cross-functional full-stack development projects that involve multiple engineers and cross-team collaboration
- Evolve our data architecture and scale our systems to serve tens of thousands of grocery stores as we grow our customer base
- Collaborate closely with our product and design teams to build rich and engaging user experiences
- Mentor and up skill other engineers, being a multiplier for the team
Skills and Experience
The following represents attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 6+ years experience with backend development
- Proven track record of designing and building complex systems and data processing to power web applications
- Strong understanding of large-scale distributed systems and data architecture
- Experience facilitating cross-team and cross-functional collaboration and information sharing
- System-level problem solving skills and excitement to tackle hard problems
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills, with a proven ability to operate in a fast-moving environment
Afresh is committed to pay equity and providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits package. Afresh conducts a pay equity audit twice each year to ensure that jobs of similar scope and impact are paid similar amounts. The final compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as the role’s scope, complexity, internal equity, the candidate’s experience/expertise, and success through the interview process.
Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we're helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices.
Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we've raised over $148 million in funding from investors including former co-CEO of Whole Foods Market Walter Robb and Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors.
Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Here at Afresh, many of our employees work remotely provided that they reside in one of the following states: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MT, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI. However, there may be key roles that will require a candidate/employee to be local to our San Francisco, CA office. In which case this requirement will be included in the job posting details under "Skills and experience" for reference.