Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we've helped our partners prevent 34 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you'll join us!
About the Role
As our Infrastructure Lead, you'll be a cornerstone member of Afresh’s engineering operations team that oversees security, infrastructure, and developer experience for the department. On this team, you will:
- Lead the effort to make our cloud infrastructure simpler and more accessible for our service-owning engineering teams to own and maintain
- Partner closely with our customers (our fellow engineering teams) to understand their infrastructure needs and provide tailored solutions
- Improve the observability of our infrastructure to ensure high reliability and performance
- Empower our customers to optimize resource utilization and control costs
- Ensure infrastructure compliance with security and data protection regulations, in collaboration with InfoSec
- Participate in our on-call rotation and help us maintain a low page rate by continuously improving our monitoring / alerting to stay ahead of problems and addressing root causes to avoid repeat incidents
- Stay up-to-date with the latest infrastructure technologies and best practices to drive continuous improvement
Skills and Experience
- Prior experience as a Tech Lead, as well as experience mentoring others.
- Experience monitoring and maintaining mission-critical cloud infrastructure at scale
- Experience leading the architecture, development, and orchestration of scalable and secure infrastructure (preferably on Azure, but AWS / GCP are okay)
- Experience making it easy for service owners to understand and manage their own infrastructure
- Deep understanding of cloud networking and security best practices, you build infrastructure that’s intrusion-resistant by default to safeguard our systems and data.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex infrastructure issues and restore service quickly while communicating early and often with stakeholders. Bonus if you’ve implemented automation to minimize human intervention!
- Experience or interest in InfoSec and/or Developer Experience (the functions you’ll be working alongside) is a bonus!
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills to effectively collaborate with and serve the dozen other engineering teams who are our customers
- Stellar cross-functional collaboration and communication. You enjoy giving and receiving constructive feedback to and from colleagues and know when/how to diplomatically push back when needed
- Execution-focused. You’re as reliable as the infrastructure you build, making commitments and consistently delivering on them.
Technologies: Terraform, Python, Kubernetes
Base Pay: $186,300-$212,175
Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we're helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices.
Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we've raised over $148 million in funding from investors including former co-CEO of Whole Foods Market Walter Robb and Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors.
Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Here at Afresh, many of our employees work remotely provided that they reside in one of the following states: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MT, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI. However, there may be key roles that will require a candidate/employee to be local to our San Francisco, CA office. In which case this requirement will be included in the job posting details under "Skills and experience" for reference.