Senior Corporate Counsel, Data and Content
Location: United States
Reports to: Senior Corporate Counsel, Data and Content
AlphaSense is a market intelligence platform used by the world's leading companies and financial institutions. Since 2011, our AI-based technology has helped professionals make smarter business decisions by delivering insights from an extensive universe of public and private content—including company filings, event transcripts, news, trade journals, and equity research. Our platform is trusted by over 3,500 enterprise customers, including a majority of the S&P 500. Headquartered in New York City, AlphaSense employs over 1,000 people across offices in the U.S., U.K., Finland, and India. For more information, please visit www.alpha-sense.com.
About the Team:
AlphaSense has a great opportunity for a Senior Corporate Counsel, Data and Content (“Data and Content Counsel”) to join our growing legal team. Legal is a critical function in supporting the company’s fast-paced environment and acts as a true business partner to all of our leaders across the organization. We work hand-in-hand with cross functional teams to provide solutions to enable and empower the company to achieve substantial growth targets while managing risk and protecting our business.
About the Role:
This role will be based remotely in the United States, with a preference for the east coast. The Data and Content Counsel will primarily be responsible for drafting, reviewing and negotiating a variety of complex commercial data and content contracts. Such contracts may include, but are not limited to, exchange and financial data/content agreements, distribution agreements, aggregation agreements, licensing agreements, and vendor and supplier contracts relating to the acquisition and distribution of data/content. In addition to commercial contracting responsibilities, the Data and Content Counsel will serve as a trusted legal advisor to other internal stakeholders with respect to content/data rights. The Data and Content Counsel will report to the VP of Legal and will partner with all levels and functions of the business, including Content, Sales, Marketing, Finance, and Product, among others, to help AlphaSense achieve its high-growth goals. This role is essential to our growth and will have an immediate impact on our dynamic, fast-paced culture.
Who You Are:
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and admission to, and good standing with, a state bar;
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating various agreements relating to the procurement and distribution of content/data and advising stakeholders on related matters either in-house or with a nationally recognized law firm (or a combination of the two);
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations relating to intellectual property, financial data/research, compliance, financial regulation, securities, privacy, and other federal, state, and local laws;
- Ability to review and negotiate commercial contracts including Master Services Agreements, Services Agreements, SOWs, Service Level Agreements, Data Licensing Agreements, Content Distribution Agreements, Orders Forms, NDAs, etc.;
- Superior business acumen with an unrivaled commitment and deep-seated need to provide responsive client service to our teams and get things done; approaches responsibilities with a business friendly and pragmatic mindset while maintaining a commensurate balance of legal risk;
- Energetic, authentic, and friendly with a great sense of humor; capable of displaying strong negotiation skills and the ability to support difficult positions in a firm and patient manner; and
- Effective communicator with the ability to interact with both internal and external professionals of all types and backgrounds
What You’ll Do:
- Draft, negotiate, and review exchange and financial data agreements, content distribution agreements, content aggregation agreements, data licensing agreements, and vendor and supplier contracts relating to the acquisition and distribution of data;
- Conduct research and help develop proposals and project plans in the procurement and/or distribution of data and content;
- Advise internal stakeholders on data and content matters including use rights/restrictions, regulatory compliance, commercial disputes, privacy, etc.;
- Partner closely with the Content team in acquisition and distribution of data and content, including developing any applicable policies relating thereto;
- Remain informed of the shifting legal landscape of applicable global laws, regulations, and industry guidance;
- Help create and enhance playbooks to establish company parameters to scale the legal function as the company grows;
- Work effectively in a dynamic environment across different functional groups and time zones;
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to ensure agreements are consistent with playbooks, internal policies, and processes; and
- Support the AlphaSense legal team on corporate and other general legal matters as needed.
AlphaSense is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals. All employees share in the responsibility for fulfilling AlphaSense’s commitment to equal employment opportunity. AlphaSense does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any other non-merit factor. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at AlphaSense, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination.
In addition, it is the policy of AlphaSense to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified employees who have protected disabilities to the extent required by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances where a particular employee works.
Base Compensation Range*: $180,000 - $220,000
Additional Components: You may also be offered a performance-based bonus, equity, and a generous benefits program.
*For base compensation, we set standard ranges for all US-based roles based on function, level and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies and internal comparables. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including geographic location as well as candidate experience/expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.