Staff Cloud Platform Engineer (Features)
AlphaSense is a market intelligence and search platform used by the world's leading companies and financial institutions. Since 2011, our AI-based technology has helped professionals make smarter business decisions by delivering insights from an extensive universe of public and private content—including equity research, company filings, event transcripts, expert calls, news, trade journals, and clients’ own research content.
Headquartered in New York City, AlphaSense employs over 1,500+ people across offices in the U.S., U.K., Finland, Germany, India, and Singapore.
For more information, please visit www.alpha-sense.com and check out the video clips.
1. The decision that matters -
2. India Office -
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Cloud Platform Engineer (Cloud Integrations & Crossplane) to join our Cloud Features team. In this role, you will be responsible for extending the capabilities of Kubernetes clusters with Crossplane. You will develop, release, and maintain opinionated Crossplane Composite Resources (and review and improve what we already have) exposing configuration options as Helm charts representing Cloud Services that development teams can use, with a focus on DBaaS, but including other resources as well (such as messaging). The goal is to enable a 100% GitOps approach to describing Kubernetes applications and their Cloud dependencies, centralizing state and management of all application resources in Kubernetes, and maintaining that in the long term, along with shared or other infrastructure resources.
Additionally, this role includes maintaining created cloud resources (e.g. when cloud providers update their services or require operations), executing Crossplane operations and debugging, carrying out Kubernetes performance impact analysis, applying well-architected (best practices) in setting up and operating Cloud resources, etc.
- Design, implement, and support Crossplane Composite Resource Definitions (XRDs) tailored to the needs of our development teams
- Develop Helm charts with interfaces that allow development teams to effortlessly consume and manage the provided XRDs
- Engage with development teams to understand their needs, gather feedback, and refine our XRD offerings
- Document XRDs and Helm interfaces, along with best practices to ensure development teams can self-serve with minimal friction
- Work closely with the broader Cloud Platform Engineering teams, sharing insights, and aligning on platform standards and practices, including ways to list and expose existing integrations, documenting use cases and providers automation to integrate them into existing services (including updates)
- Act as a Crossplane SME to support our production (and other environments) reliability activities by debugging and troubleshooting issues with Crossplane
- Work closely with internal teams to gather requirements and feedback on the deployed solutions
- Ensure internal customers (development teams) receive appropriate support and guidance on using supported Helm charts (and the underlying Crossplane resources)
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in Kubernetes, Crossplane, databases, and messaging technologies
- Identify opportunities to introduce additional Crossplane-based solutions that cater to evolving internal needs (e.g. additional providers for existing or in-development resources)
- Recommend and implement enhancements to existing solutions for better performance, security, and maintainability
- Create comprehensive documentation for the developed Crossplane Resources and Helm Charts, ensuring not only resource creation guidelines but also basic operations, monitoring, Helm integrations, and any other action expected from resource consumers
- Train and guide colleagues and users, sharing best practices and insights for efficient Crossplane-based (and Cloud-based) resource management.
- Clear understanding of Kubernetes architecture, concepts, and APIs with solid hands-on experience deploying and operating solutions on it
- Solid experience with cloud providers, at least one of Azure, AWS, or GCP, and familiarity with their APIs and SDKs. Expert-level knowledge and experience with cloud CLIs and Terraform providers or other similar tools are a plus
- +1 year experience designing and implementing Crossplane Composite Resources, and in-depth understanding of Crossplane providers and Crossplane operations with at least one of AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Familiarity with Helm internals and hands-on experience developing and releasing charts
- Experience working with DBaaA offerings and other key Cloud services (Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka, etc.)
- Experience with developing Kubernetes operators using Go or Java is a plus
- Experience with writing RFCs and technical documentation is a plus
Want to hear more?
You can apply by sending your cover letter and resume through the application form.