Senior Software Engineer II, Data Platform (Remote)
This role is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to develop software, data systems and pipelines to combat cancer. You'll be responsible for building the data platform for multiple data pipelines, supporting platforms like the business intelligence platform. You’ll help shed light on all internally-generated data to help improve and refine our processes, including handling heterogenous data through data warehousing and ETL pipelines. Our systems are built using the latest web software development technologies and methodologies. The ideal candidate is excited to take the lead on major projects and collaborate actively with our world-class team of engineers, scientists, designers, and product managers. You are passionate about building a reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant data platform to handle multiple pipelines, and you will have a significant impact on the continued growth of a high profile technology organization that is changing the landscape on early cancer detection.
The role reports to our engineering management team.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant data pipelines and services that power our internal experiments and analyses
- Work with scientists, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of dynamism and uncertainty
- Build tools and infrastructure that enables internal and external teams (engineers and analysts) to effectively create efficient data-pipelines
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Mentor junior engineers and grow our team’s technical expertise
- Lead and champion data engineering best practices and team culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
- 8+ years of experience as a part of a software engineering team successfully shipping one or more data pipelines used by multiple people or groups
- Extensive knowledge of Redshift, BigQuery, or similar technologies
- Expertise with a variety of data stores: SQL, noSQL, columnar, timeseries, etc
- Demonstrated experience with handling and transforming large multivariate datasets via ETL pipelines
- Experience in Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience in Google Cloud Platform, AWS, or Azure
- Previous experience leading teams or managing projects and mentoring more junior teammates
- Experience designing and implementing scalable data systems for multiple applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of your day-to-day work
- A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
Nice to haves:
- Expertise with Kubernetes operators
- Experience with Grafana, Prometheus, or similar tools
- Data Visualization experience
- Understanding of, and practical experience with, statistical and machine learning methods
- Domain-specific experience in computational biology, genomics or a related field
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $157,000 - $240,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Something looks off?