Senior Research Associate - Proteomics, Phage Display
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity
At Freenome, our goal is to improve patient outcomes by pioneering the next-generation of blood tests for early and accurate disease detection using our combined multi-omics and machine learning platform. As a Senior Research Associate (SRA) in Proteomics, you will contribute to the design and execution of experiments, manually or on robotic platforms, that will further the performance of Freenome’s assays. You will work closely with scientists and computational biologists to develop novel protein display methods for cancer biomarker identification, rapidly iterate on improvements to the core analytical methods, and implement efficient workflows to increase the throughput of both experimental and clinical workflows.
What you’ll do:
- Diligently apply Good Laboratory Practices to perform mission-critical experiments
- Prototype new phage display and next-generation sequencing (NGS) methods, optimize the performance of existing assays, and execute biomarker discovery studies on clinical samples
- Take detailed notes, gather high-quality data, and openly communicate on lessons learned while performing experiments
- Help with process improvements across the lab by thinking critically about the execution of all experiments
- Contribute to experimental designs and troubleshooting efforts
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, chemical biology, or a related field
- 4+ years (post Bachelors) or 0+ years (post Masters) of full-time laboratory experience in the life sciences (industry and/or academia)
- Hands-on experience with basic cloning methods including primer design, PCR, gel and chip-based DNA analysis
- Familiarity with protein display technologies such phage or yeast display
- Experience with immunoassay workflows such as ELISAs, immunoprecipitation, or flow cytometry
- Proven track record of running successful experiments, preparing data for review, and giving effective scientific presentations
- Ability to perform basic data analysis and be critical of results obtained during experimentation
Nice to haves:
- Direct experience handling phage in culture or as tools for protein display
- Experience in NGS assay development, including the use of automation
- Basic bioinformatic analysis in a programming language (Python, R)
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $85,000 - $130,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Something looks off?