Senior Software Engineer II, LIMS (Remote)
This position is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer for our Software LIMS team to develop software to combat cancer and other age-related diseases. You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists building integrated, end-to-end solutions for our Clinical and R&D labs.
As a member of a fast-growing team you'll be take the lead on major projects and collaborative actively with our world-class team of engineers, scientists, designers, and product managers. You'll build reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that enable the rapid growth of our business and our mission to save lives.
The ideal candidate is a subject matter expert who is comfortable leading software projects and providing guidance to team members on best practices and standards for software development and testing in a fast-paced, Agile environment. You are passionate about designing and implementing new processes and tools, and you will have a significant impact on the continued growth of a high-profile technology organization that is changing the landscape of early cancer detection.
You'll have opportunities to work on integrating, automating, and optimizing multiple projects into a large-scale software system for our lab operator workflow. Our systems are built uding the latest web software development technologies and methodologies.
The role reports to our software engineering management team.
What you'll do:
- Design, develop, test, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that power both our internal and external systems
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Establish and advocate for effective-team scale development and testing strategies aligned with other Freenome engineering efforts
- Work with scientists, designers, and product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Transform software development plans into sprint tickets and coordinate their completion
- Mentor junior engineers and grow our team's technical expertise
- Act as a force-multiplier by taking a mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and interactions with others
- Guide and champion engineering hygiene and culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science Engineering or a related field or equivalent training, fellowship, and/or work experience
- 8+ years as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- Expertise with Java
- Experience designing and implementing scalable backend systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to achieve goals in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Experience leading and mentoring engineers in creating an effective and sustainable engineering culture
Nice to haves:
- Experience using a LIMS
- Experience developing REST endpoints
- Experience with *NIX system administration
- Experience working with Verification & Validation (V&V) for applications in high governance industries subject to HIPAA, CAP, CLIA, SOC2, etc.
- Experience leading large teams and managing projects
- Experience in cloud native distributed applications using container management tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, or similar
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $157,000 - $240,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)