Senior Director, Market Access Strategy
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a Senior Director, Market Access as we grow the Freenome Commercial team. The ideal candidate is experienced in Market Access for new launches for in vitro diagnostics (IVD) with a deep understanding of the market access landscape. . This person will play a critical role in developing and implementing market access strategies and tactics to ensure the successful commercialization of Freenome’s products. You are passionate about patient care and access, and you will have a significant impact on the continued growth of an organization dedicated to changing the entire landscape of cancer.
The role reports to the Vice President of Marketing & Commercial Strategy.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the development and implementation of market access strategies and tactics to optimize patient access, reimbursement, and product adoption
- Regularly engage with payer, government and account stakeholders to inform optimal market access and reimbursement strategies
- Drive market research and analysis to understand payer landscape, pricing dynamics, policy trends and competitor activities
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in the commercial, finance and medical functions to develop value propositions, pricing strategies and contracting approaches
- Develop pricing, contracting and reimbursement strategies and frameworks for different geographies and payer segments, considering product value, competitive landscape, and reimbursement dynamics
- Conduct pricing analysis and modeling to determine optimal pricing levels to maximize patient access
- Collaborate with payer account teams to understand payer needs, priorities, and reimbursement criteria for integration into market access strategies and tactics
- Monitor and analyze healthcare policies, regulations, and reimbursement frameworks that impact market access, pricing and reimbursement
- Engage with policymakers, industry associations, and advocacy groups to shape healthcare policies and reimbursement practices
- Provide strategic leadership and expertise on policy issues, market dynamics, and reimbursement criteria in order to optimize market access strategies and tactics
- Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders, including product, finance, legal and medical to align market access strategies with overall business goals
- Lead the market access commercial launch readiness and planning efforts
- Partner with key internal stakeholders and external subject matter experts to develop value messaging, contracting and evidence generation plans to support market access goals and reimbursement requirements
- Define standards and ensure execution of high-impact, consistent strategies and tactics for all key customers
- Support field teams in optimizing customer engagement activities
- Develop and implement key performance indicators and metrics to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of market access strategies
- Analyze and report on market access trends, reimbursement levels and payer dynamics to inform decision making and strategic and tactical execution
- Provide regular updates to senior leadership on market access strategy performance, challenges, and opportunities
- Partner within Marketing, Legal, and Regulatory Affairs to drive coordinated marketing engagement and ensure the development of compliant and effective execution
- ~30% travel for key internal and external stakeholder meetings
- Undergraduate degree
- +10 years progressive experience in commercial leadership experience in Pharmaceutical/Biotech/Diagnostics
- +5 years experience in Market Access with direct responsibility for pricing, reimbursement, market access, or policy for early pipeline or launch products and/or within organized customer organizations (Payer, Health System, Speciality Pharmacy, Distributor, etc.)
- Prior in vitro diagnostic (IVD) market access experience
- Prior oncology, primary care, and consumer experience
- Strong knowledge of the healthcare ecosystem including healthcare economics, policy and the regulatory environment for United States medical devices and stakeholders
- Strong knowledge across customer types including HCPs, patients, payers, IDNs, distributors, pathways and their business models
- Demonstrated proficiency creating marketing strategies, plans, and tactics that have strengthened market positioning and drive high-value customer, patient, and business outcomes
- Expertise in organized customer and access issues with strong customer and patient orientation and focus
- Proven ability to model the financial and economic impact of product choices for medical devices
- Demonstrated familiarity with the analysis of healthcare claims databases and/or electronic medical records
- Deep understanding of patient access component of the revenue cycle within hospitals and physician care settings
- Demonstrated ability to leverage major technologies in the space, including EHRs, for efficient customer engagement and billing
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines and compliance requirements
- Systems thinker with proven ability to build, measure, and refine repeatable and consistent approaches
- Highly collaborative with excellent interpersonal skills fostering strong relationships across the organization
- Possess an entrepreneurial, determined, and tenacious approach to impacting patients and business
- Experience leading function-wide business planning processes, including development, execution, and measurement
- Utilize structured methods to gather intelligence and feedback from customers and transform insights into scalable, repeatable actions
- Ability to analyze complex data and utilize data analytics and metrics to measure effectiveness and results of strategies and programs and drive for optimal outcomes
- Natural relationship builder and communicator with strong stakeholder management capabilities and problem-solving skills
- Proactively identifies and solves complex problems with a solutions-orientation
- Compelling story-teller able to craft and tell the company’s story, strategy, and capabilities in an inspiring narrative to internal and external audiences
Nice to haves:
- SF Bay Area preferred, but not required
- MBA preferred, but not required
- Market research/analysis/planning experience in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or related industry a plus
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $230,000 - $350,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)