Regional Director, Field Medical - East (Remote)
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a Director, Field Medical (East Region), to help grow the Freenome Medical Science Liaison (MSL) team. The Freenome MSL team will interact with key clinical decision-makers that influence or manage the use of diagnostic products. This team will have dual responsibilities to engage clinicians (primary care physicians, oncologists, gastroenterologists, pathologists, APPs) and managed care/payor key decision makers.
The ideal Regional Director candidate is a professional with previous experience as a front line manager of field MSLs. This person will be responsible for identifying MSL candidates that want to serve both clinicians and managed care/payor customers across academic and community settings, Integrated Delivery Networks (IDNs), HCP (Healthcare Partners), and payor organizations to exchange scientiﬁc and medical data/information supporting our cancer screening solutions. You are passionate about patient care and ensuring access, and you will have a signiﬁcant impact on the continued growth of an organization dedicated to changing the entire landscape of cancer.
The role reports to Senior Director, Field Medical and Payor Engagement.
What you’ll do:
Lead and contribute to the development of clinical and access strategic engagement plans supporting the scientific education, adoption, and utilization of Freenome products and services.
- As a member of the Field Medical leadership team, collaborate with the Sr. Director, Field Medical and Payor Engagement to develop annual team goals, objectives and field strategies
- Work closely with the field medical leadership and medical affairs team to ensure that the informational needs of customers are met, including support for customer facing materials and other MSL resources
- Hire/mentor/develop a regional team of medical science liaisons (MSLs) locally aligned with clinicians and payor customers across defined territories
- Implement and oversee MSL team priorities to support medical activities consistent with field medical and business strategic imperatives
- Provide oversight responsibility for the regional MSL team’s training and development
- Ensure timely and strategic development of regional territory/account plans
- Oversee collection of MSL team medical insights, and identify regional trends impacting clinical practice patterns
- Represent Scientific Medical Affairs and field medical during internal Freenome strategic meetings by providing field medical insights from clinical/payor external stakeholders
- Promote effective compliant collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders
- Close strategic and tactical alignment with commercial field-based teams to ensure appropriate medical support
- Collaborate with cross functional partners in clinical development and scientific medical affairs in support of research activities, including clinical trials, registries, ISTs, and/or RWE
- Assist in coordinating medical representation at conferences including reporting on scientific sessions, and meetings with HCPs in collaboration with HQ Medical Affairs
In addition to serving as a front line manager, this individual will also be responsible for territory coverage. This includes:
- Identifying and developing relationships with key decision-makers in territory accounts including academic and community clinics, hospital systems, payor/managed care organizations and other institutions that influence or manage the use of diagnostic products
- Educating and conducting meaningful scientific exchange with territory clinicians/payors on the clinical value proposition of Freenome products and services to drive plan inclusion and appropriate utilization
- Collaborating with clinical and payor customers to understand their needs, challenges, and evidence requirements for clinical integration, reimbursement, and coverage
Thought Leadership and Industry Awareness:
- Stay abreast of the latest scientiﬁc and clinical advancements, market trends, and regulatory guidelines relevant to our products, speciﬁcally in relation to market access, clinical, IDN, and payor environments
- Represent the company at industry conferences, meetings, and other events as a thought leader and fostering key relationships
- Contribute to the development and review of scientiﬁc materials, publications, and presentations
- Partner closely with internal teams including Commercial and Medical, to align strategic objectives and optimize engagement efforts
- Advanced degree in medical or health sciences (e.g. MD/DO/PhD,PharmD)
- 10+ years progressive pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or medical device oncology experience including industry/clinical research, medical science liaison, and medical affairs
- 5+ years previous experience as a front line manager
Nice to haves:
Diagnostic or oncology medical science liaison experience in oncology or similar disease state
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $197,200 to $304,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)