Senior Director, Publications and Scientific Communications (Remote)
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a Director / Senior Director, Publications and Scientific Communications to join our growing Medical Affairs Organization. As a key member of the Medical Affairs Leadership team, this role provides strategic input, leadership, and management of scientific communication activities, including publications, scientific communications, medical information and content development for Field Medical Teams.
The role reports to the Vice President, Scientific and Medical Affairs.
What you’ll do:
- Accountable/responsible for all aspects of scientific communications including publications, scientific platform/scientific statement development, congress communications, medical information and field medical content development for Freenome’s cancer screening portfolio
- Oversee the development and execution of a cross-functional strategic publication plan for approved and pipeline products
- Demonstrate deep, extensive knowledge and understanding of the disease area, medical strategies and objectives necessary to provide strategic input to a broad range of stakeholders on matters related to publication planning & data dissemination/disclosure
- Develop and refine publication strategic objectives for the assigned assets aligned with the overall medical objectives, participation in data analysis efforts, editing and preparation of publications for submission, while ensuring adherence to policies and procedures established by Freenome, journals, and ICMJE
- Responsible for the development of scientific content for the field medical team, aligned with overall scientific narrative for each asset and overall medical strategy
- Responsible for the development and execution of congress material, including medical affairs booths and scientific symposia as applicable
- Implement effective and consistent strategies for engaging external expertise (e.g. Publication Steering Committee) to advise and shape publication plan strategy
- Effectively manage vendors to ensure deliverables are on time, within budget, and of high quality prior to subsequent internal review
- Implement Medical Information framework to ensure the timely and standardized responses to medical/scientific questions, including insight generation and reporting metrics
- Build and enable a high-performing team by hiring and retaining top talent while also fostering a positive team environment
- Attend and contribute at major scientific and medical conferences
- Advanced degree in medical or health sciences (e.g. MD/DO/PhD, PharmD)
- 12+ years progressive pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or medical device experience including industry/clinical research, medical science liaison, and medical affairs
- Robust experience in strategic publication planning and execution
- Expertise in terms of clinical trial design, interpretation of scientific data, and communication via clinical/regulatory or medical affairs channels
- Demonstrated ability to successfully communicate complex concepts and data to a variety of audiences
- Able to work independently and cross-functionally, with strong leadership skills, and effectively manage teams and projects
- Strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to plan and design effective publication and scientific communication strategies
- Strong managerial track record including hiring, performance management, and coaching and developing top talent for engagement and retention
- Experience working in a highly matrix environment across a broad range of functional areas and effectively collaborating with the medical affairs, R&D, regulatory, legal and commercial teams
- Outstanding interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with exceptional time management skills
- High integrity, sense of urgency, an appetite to both individually contribute and to lead within and outside of publications and communications functions
- Strong program and project management skills with proven ability to drive key projects with minimal direction and oversight
Maintain clinical and technical expertise through review of the scientific literature and attendance at key scientific meetings
Nice to haves:
Diagnostic experience in oncology or similar disease state
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $223,125 - $340,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)