Senior Clinical Data Manager
Redwood City, CA, USA · United States · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Karius is a venture-backed life science startup focused on transforming the way infectious diseases are diagnosed. Combining Next-Generation Sequencing and proprietary data analysis, we can identify over 1,000 pathogens from a single blood sample with typical turnaround time in one business day. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we are helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, with a future vision of accelerating clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are looking for a Clinical Data Manager to own all clinical data management activities for clinical programs to ensure accurate, high quality management of clinical trial data for outsourced trials in a fast-paced environment. She/he will lead the Clinical Data Management function from the ground up and set the strategic direction for the Clinical Data Management function within Karius.
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: Director, Clinical Operations
Location: Redwood City, CA or Remote
• Plan, manage and coordinate all global data management activities for assigned program(s) to ensure consistency of clinical data standards across programs with minimal guidance.
• Critically review protocols and provide feedback as it pertains to data collection and data management activities.
• Gather, organize, and analyze clinical data and metadata from multiple data sources.
• Lead design of study databases, case report forms (CRFs) and edit checks and Perform User Acceptance Training (UAT).
• Perform medical coding and data transfers from external to EDC.
• Develop and maintain proper study documentation throughout the lifecycle of a study, to include, but not limited to DMP, eCRF Completion Guidelines, Database Specifications, Edit Check Specifications, UAT Test Plan.
• Identify potential data issues and identify and mitigate risks to data quality.
• Collaborate with cross functional team members (i.e. Clinical Development and Medical Affairs), and key vendors such as central laboratories, clinical sites to meet project deliverables, including data acquisition, quality checking and reporting in compliance with GCP, SOPs and regulatory requirements.
• Manage and lead the design and implementation of clinical data management processes with vendors.
• Ensure completeness, accuracy, consistency and compliance of clinical data and data structure across all assigned programs and drive timely data lock.
• Lead the data review cycle, query management and field ad hoc requests for data listings from other functions.
• Monitor and provide data to Clinical Operations to support clinical operational activities and reports.
• Partner with statistical programmers to develop and document data repository schema across data sources.
• Review training tools for site and field staff and provide EDC training, as needed.
• Represent data management at investigator meetings and may present EDC and case report forms to investigators.
• Participate in internal study team meetings as well as teleconferences with outside vendors and study personnel.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: Travel required 5%.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office, lab, or clinical environment.
• Bachelor's degree required; MBA or Master's degree is preferred.
10+ years’ experience in clinical data management at a biotechnology company or CRO, 8+ years with an advanced degree, diagnostic experience strongly preferred.
• Experience in managing data management activities for both sponsor-led and outsourced clinical trials.
• Strong understanding of clinical trial processes and EDC platforms.
Experience programming in Medrio clinical databases, programming in Medidata, IBM Clinical , Oracle and others a plus.
• Experience in developing Data Management Plans, Data Quality Review Plans, and other applicable plans.
• Experience in data review, data verification and database lock procedures.
• Knowledge of industry standards, such as ICH guidelines, 21 CFR Part 11, and FDA guidelines.
• Experience with SAS.
• Experience developing and implementing standards and processes (SOPs).
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects with multiple priorities in a fast paced, team-based environment.
• Must be an excellent communicator and able to balance complex strategic and operational initiatives including legal/policy and business issues.
• Ability to anticipate and identify potential roadblocks to meeting goals and identify corrective actions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from project teams, sites, and external vendors.
• Must be able to work in a collaborative environment, while often independently, and consistently demonstrate knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide high quality service to both internal and external stakeholders.
• Display a high level of commitment and professionalism and is truly passionate about being on the cutting edge of science to help support and generate the appropriate clinical evidence.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.