Principal Data Engineer
OwnBackup is one of the fastest growing global SaaS companies. With nearly 5,000 customers, we are ranked on the Forbes Cloud 100 as one of the world's top private cloud companies and have raised over $500 million in funding from AIkeon Capital, B Capital Group, BlackRock Private Equity Partners, Insight Partners and others.
OwnBackup is looking for a passionate, dedicated, and highly motivated Principal Data Engineer to join our Engineering team in our New Jersey HQ office. This is a great opportunity to join OwnBackup and help us build the next generation of products for end-to-end SaaS data protection.
Your Day-to-Day Role
- Build proprietary cloud-based big data analytics and improve core back-end & cloud-based data services
- Leading technical development of features end to end (From requirements to code in production)
- Promoting engineering excellence, code quality and principles of software design and development in the team
- Help translating our business vision into state of the art software and efficient development processes
- Supporting our customers and troubleshooting production issues
- Being part of cross R&D engineering initiatives
Your Work Experience
- 10+ years of experience as a Software / Data Engineer and building enterprise SAAS based solutions with Large Datasets ; Experience or working knowledge with distributed systems
- Excellent communication skills, particularly with explaining technical or complex matters to non-technical audiences
- Experience designing and implementing non-destructive data architecture to support data governance, lineage, and change traceability
- Familiar with various data storage principles and concepts such as RDBMS, NsSQL DBs, Hybrid DBs , strong experience with SQL/ Py-Spark/Spark SQL
- Experience building highly scalable Data Warehouse using DataBricks if possible or other tech stack
- Proficient in Python / Java / Scala / Apache Spark or Hadoop
- Exposure to Cloud - AWS and/or Azure. Preferably AWS.
- Familiarity with mechanisms for securing data at rest and in transit
- Good understanding of secure SDLC development process
- BS in Computer-science or equivalent degree
- Strong background and experience with:
- Big Data Technologies
- Secure-coding/infosec principles
- Scalability & performance
- DataBricks experience will be a plus
- Experience building backend modules, low latency REST API in distributed environments using Java, Docker, SQL, Maven, Spring, Jenkins.
- Experience writing complex SQL queries, UDFs to process large amounts of data across relational, non-relational databases and Spark SQLs
- Experience with reengineering initiatives, data-ingestion processes, and/or business-process restructuring
This is a full-time position. The ideal candidate will work out of our Englewood Cliffs, NJ office to maximize collaboration and interaction with the business. Travel may be required.
OwnBackup is dedicated to creating an environment where employees thrive, which is why base pay is only one part of the total compensation package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work. This role may also be eligible for unlimited PTO, generous medical benefits, a 401(k) savings plan with a 4% employer match, discretionary bonuses/incentives, and stock options. We also offer catered lunches in the office five days a week, a full fitness center, and free shuttle bus service to and from New York City.
Creating an environment where employees thrive also means making sure every employee feels accepted. As we scale to help all types of companies protect precious data, our team must reflect the diversity we serve. OwnBackup is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we believe that every employee in the company brings a unique perspective that they can and should contribute in order to make an impact every day. We strive to be one team and one culture that builds trust through transparency. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
A Bit About Us
OwnBackup is a leading SaaS data protection platform for some of the largest SaaS ecosystems in the world, including Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics 365, and ServiceNow. Through capabilities like data security, backup and recovery, archiving, and sandbox seeding, OwnBackup empowers thousands of organizations worldwide to manage and protect the mission-critical data that drives their business.
Something looks off?