Corporate Counsel, Commerical
OwnBackup is one of the fastest growing global SaaS companies. With over 6,000 customers, we are ranked on the Forbes Cloud 100 as one of the world's top private cloud companies and have raised over $500 million in funding from AIkeon Capital, B Capital Group, BlackRock Private Equity Partners, Insight Partners and others.
As Corporate Counsel, Commercial, you will play a critical role in OwnBackup’s commercial and legal growth strategy. Reporting to Managing Counsel, Commercial you will play a leading role in negotiating OwnBackup’s largest customer contracts, and help OwnBackup mature its commercial legal practices as it scales its operations. The successful candidate will have robust experience handling contract negotiations with the world’s largest business customers and will understand and be able to replicate and adapt proven business and contract practices of successful technology companies. This position has the potential to develop into a manager role, leading a team of commercial attorneys.
Your Day-to-Day Role
- Review, draft, and negotiate agreements with enterprise customers in the US, Canada, and Latin America
- Help build compliance programs, business practices, and playbooks to help OwnBackup scale its Legal function as the company continues its rapid growth
- Educate OwnBackup stakeholders on commercial contracting strategy and best practices
- Potentially become a manager, leading a team of commercial attorneys
Your Work Experience
- Licensed to practice law in state of residence
- Minimum 3 years of experience handling outbound commercial contracts for technology companies, as in-house counsel and/or at law firms
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating enterprise SaaS/cloud agreements with Fortune 500 customers
- Experience handling technology alliance agreements (reseller, OEM, system integrator) is a plus
- Business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Desire to pitch in and help where needed in a fast-growing startup
- Thoughtful and persuasive interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships
- An enthusiastic team member who enjoys taking ownership of projects, building relationships cross-functionally, and working on cutting-edge legal issues
This is a full-time position. The ideal candidate will work out of our Englewood Cliffs, NJ office to maximize collaboration and interaction with the business. Travel may be required.
OwnBackup is dedicated to creating an environment where employees thrive, which is why base pay is only one part of the total compensation package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work. This role may also be eligible for unlimited PTO, generous medical benefits, a 401(k) savings plan with a 4% employer match, discretionary bonuses/incentives, and stock options. We also offer catered lunches in the office five days a week, a full fitness center, and free shuttle bus service to and from New York City.
Creating an environment where employees thrive also means making sure every employee feels accepted. As we scale to help all types of companies protect precious data, our team must reflect the diversity we serve. OwnBackup is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we believe that every employee in the company brings a unique perspective that they can and should contribute in order to make an impact every day. We strive to be one team and one culture that builds trust through transparency. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
A Bit About Us
OwnBackup is a leading SaaS data protection platform for some of the largest SaaS ecosystems in the world, including Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics 365, and ServiceNow. Through capabilities like data security, backup and recovery, archiving, and sandbox seeding, OwnBackup empowers thousands of organizations worldwide to manage and protect the mission-critical data that drives their business.