Own is the leading data platform trusted by thousands of organizations to protect and activate SaaS data to transform their businesses. Own empowers customers to ensure the availability, security and compliance of mission-critical data, while unlocking new ways to gain deeper insights faster. By partnering with some of the world’s largest SaaS ecosystems such as Salesforce, ServiceNow and Microsoft Dynamics 365, Own enables customers around the world to truly own the data that powers their business.
It’s their platform. It’s your data. Own it.
The Own Data Platform empowers customers to ensure the availability, compliance, and security of critical data, and privacy is core to that mission. We are seeking a highly skilled Corporate Counsel, Privacy to join our Legal team and play a crucial role in advancing Own’s mission by ensuring compliance with privacy laws and regulations and providing privacy-related support and guidance to our customer-facing teams.
This role will be located in our Englewood Cliffs, NJ office and report to the General Counsel, who is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, with dotted-line reporting to our Managing Counsel and Data Protection Officer, who is located in London. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of U.S. and global privacy laws, regulations, and industry best practices, and experience supporting enterprise SaaS or software sales teams.
What You’ll Do
- Privacy Compliance: Help build out Own’s privacy compliance program to align with global privacy laws, regulations and best practices.
- Emerging Privacy Laws: Understand, educate relevant stakeholders on, and ensure compliance with, emerging privacy laws in the United States and other countries.
- Sales Support: Work with the Americas Commercial Legal team to provide privacy-related support to Own’s Sales, Customer Success and Alliances teams in contract negotiations with prospective and existing customers.
- Vendor Risk Management: Review vendor privacy practices and agreements to ensure compliance with Own standards and commitments, and minimize privacy risk.
- Data Governance: Help build out Own’s data governance framework, including data mapping, classification, and retention policies.
- Incident Response: Assist with incident response as needed to address any potential data breaches or privacy incidents promptly.
- Other: Assist DPO in other areas as needed, including privacy impact assessments, policy development and employee training and awareness to promote a privacy-centric culture within Own.
What You’ll Need
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from a highly regarded law school.
- Active membership in good standing with the state bar association.
- Minimum of four years of experience practicing privacy law in a highly regarded law firm and/or large SaaS or cloud company.
In-depth knowledge of global privacy regulations, including GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, and other relevant frameworks.
- Business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice.
- Service-oriented and responsive working style.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Desire to pitch in and help where needed in a fast-growing startup.
- Thoughtful and persuasive interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Enthusiastic team member who enjoys taking ownership of projects, building relationships cross-functionally and working on cutting-edge legal issues.
- Experience supporting sales teams and negotiating commercial contracts is a plus.
- CIPP or other relevant certifications are a plus.
This is a full-time position. The ideal candidate will work out of our Englewood Cliffs, NJ office a minimum of 3 days per week to maximize collaboration and interaction with the business. Travel may be required.
Own is dedicated to creating an environment where employees thrive, which is why base pay is only one part of the total compensation package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work. This role may also be eligible for unlimited PTO, generous medical benefits, a 401(k) savings plan with a 4% employer match, discretionary bonuses/incentives, and stock options. We also offer catered lunches in the office five days a week, a full fitness center, and free shuttle bus service to and from New York City.
Creating an environment where employees thrive also means making sure every employee feels accepted. As we scale to help all types of companies protect precious data, our team must reflect the diversity we serve. Own is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we believe that every employee in the company brings a unique perspective that they can and should contribute in order to make an impact every day. We strive to be one team and one culture that builds trust through transparency. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
Learn more at owndata.com.