Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a Senior Machine Learning Engineer with a proven background in delivering machine learning products at scale.
This role will be in the Applied Machine Learning engineering team which delivers novel machine learning powered products for both external customers and internal use. The team designs the algorithms, integrates these into production systems and maintains them via ML operations (MLOps). For example, the team has developed Road and Building monitoring products based upon our satellite imagery, including global weekly mapping and change detection. They have also built the inference systems that generate cloud masks of all images produced by Planet. The core algorithms that have been developed typically use a combination of computer vision (DL & non-DL) and time series, all cemented in statistical and physical principles. Additionally, the team takes ML models from external partners and integrates them into our systems so that their output can be offered to Planet’s customers.
In this role, you will join a team of engineers working together on algorithm development and integration into our distributed compute platform. You will perform exploratory analysis on remote sensing data and build models and inference pipelines on top of our infrastructure. You will also design ML operations to maintain the performance of deployed models and pipelines.
The team has a highly collaborative culture and is distributed remotely across USA and Canada.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Development of computer vision and time series algorithms
- Design of datasets to fit or evaluate algorithms
- Implementation of algorithms as scalable production code in Python
- ML operations to maintain production algorithms (monitoring, training, benchmarking, deploying, etc)
What You Bring:
- Solid understanding of fundamentals in remote sensing, statistics and machine learning
- Methodical and scientific thinking. Ability to plan and prioritize in time-constrained projects
- Experience building and maintaining ML models in production
- Experience with distributed and scientific computing
- Experience with geospatial python libraries (e.g. GDAL, rasterio, shapely, etc)
- Experience with scientific python libraries (e.g. numpy, scipy, TensorFlow, etc)
- Fluency in Python in a Linux environment
- Experience with Git and Docker
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to explain complex technical issues accurately to technical and non-technical audiences
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience building products using sensor or geospatial data
- Experience in remote sensing or related fields
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Something looks off?