Senior Software Engineer
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
In this role you will be a Senior Software Engineer on the Customer Growth Infrastructure team. You will be responsible for architectural design and building infrastructure and software that manages the authentication and authorization layers controlling access to the Planet platform. We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Software Engineer who has a proven grit/tenacity in tackling difficult problems, and is passionate about building great infrastructure that others want to use. You'll have the opportunity to work on new features, improve our existing products/infrastructure, and will be empowered to make an impact on our customers and our company.
Our tech stack is Go, Python, Postgres, BigQuery, Pub/Sub, and Kubernetes running on Google’s Cloud. We believe strongly in engineering resilient software through a solid software engineering process.
The Customer Growth Infrastructure team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You’re expected to have strong communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations across several North American time zones. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative, and has experience building large scale backend systems for customer-facing team.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Building large-scale services and APIs in Go and Python to provide administration, authentication, and access control to the Planet platform
- Designing technical solutions for both internal and external users
- Writing high-quality, maintainable, highly-available, well-documented production code
- Evaluating system risks and improving reliability via code, process, documentation, architecture and other improvements
- Owning operation of services by measuring performance, creating alerts, runbooks, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies during on-call rotations
What You Bring:
- 5+ years of experience in software development, with an emphasis on backend services with a customer focus.
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, and testing methodologies.
- Experience building services that leverage cloud-based infrastructure and tooling such as AWS or GCP
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills.
- Experience working cross-functionally and in a fast-paced environment.
- History of working with monitoring tools like SignalFX, New Relic and Graphite (or equivalent)
- Comfortable with using Docker containers in a production environment
- Experience with SQL databases (Postgres or MySQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g. Bigtable, Redis, HBase, etc.), and understand when to use each
- Experience with a large shared codebase and Continuous Integration and Deployment workflows and tooling
- Comfortable with distributed systems concepts, reasoning about concurrency and making consistency tradeoffs.
- Comfortable working in a Linux operational environment. Experience using and troubleshooting networking APIs and other system calls. While this is a software engineering team, we do largely manage our own operations (with the exception of Kubernetes control/worker pools, CI tools and the like), including participating in on-call rotation.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with user management, access control systems
- Familiarity with OpenID Connect, OAuth 2.0, and other authentication flows
- Familiarity with geospatial concepts, and how they are applied in popular open source software like GEOS/GDAL.
- Experience with containerized build and deployment processes and container orchestration systems like Kubernetes.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $124,000 - $203,000. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.