Senior Manager, Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet deploys one of the largest and most complex computing and development environments due to our combined mission of being an aerospace company that manufacturers, owns and operates 100’s of satellites which also being a leading data platform solution provider. Spanning multiple clouds worldwide (and on-prem colo’s), with a highly secure footprint, Planet’s environments scale to allow efficient ingestion of 100’s satellite generating TB’s of data every day, with increasing efficiency to deliver quicker results for our customers. In parallel, Planet’s enterprise and development teams require modern DevOps services to quicken the pace of integration and automation to improve development life cycles, optimize enterprise infrastructure services and improve employee productivity.
This role will directly impact Planet’s use of computing infrastructure while also deploying modern, devops services at scale as Planet adds capabilities for missions operations, satellite based data collection and brings new product capabilities to market. This role will develop, champion and implement a roadmap for adding new capabilities, services and solutions. The ideal candidate will be an industry recognized Cloud Computing expert, having successfully deployed multiple enterprise grade infrastructure solutions, applications, products, complex workflows, high performance computing and solutions. In parallel, supporting new, robust, best practices DevOps services, is also part of the charter. In parallel to being a technical leader, this role will have direct management and dotted line management of technical team members across a nimble worldwide SRE and DevOps services team.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Drive Planet’s Cloud infrastructure and daily operational roadmap to increase corporate strategic value and impact to the customers (both internal and external) in support of product and business goals as Planet’s Cloud infrastructure SME across Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) for company wide projects and programs
- Appropriate migration of on-prem solutions and services to cloud environments for improved availability and operational resilience
- Deliver core cloud infrastructure services (networking, security, failover solutions, developer friendly policies and services, etc) in partnership with colleagues across Software Engineering, Space Systems, and other areas
- Deploy and manage best practices infrastructure solutions and services that meet business requirements, including security, disaster recovery, high availability, scalability and cost optimization
- Deploy and optimize modern DevOps services, tools and capabilities in support of development teams worldwide
- Collaborate with the VP of Data Science and others to align cloud spend reporting with company needs for data-informed decisions, both business and technical for AWS, Azure and GCP
- As an SME and technical leader, educate teams on the implementation and best practices use of AWS, Azure and Google Cloud (GCP) core and native services. Make recommendations based on business requirements, industry trends, enterprise best practices and evolving standards
- Direct management and dotted line management of technical team members across a nimble worldwide SRE and DevOps services team
- Improve cost optimization for all cloud deployments as additive to efforts already in place
- Cultivate positive relationships with colleagues at multiple levels across the organization to ensure alignment and delivery of the best in class cloud services
- Help identify opportunities and implement changes for improved processes and policies across Planet as part of Root Cause Analysis (RCA) efforts
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree with 14+ years of IT experience +5 year of AWS / GCP experience OR Master’s degree with 12+years of IT experience
- Deep knowledge of modern infrastructure management and site reliability engineering practice, including Infrastructure-as-Code tools (e.g., Terraform, Ansible, …) and metrics and observability tools (e.g. Splunk, DataDog, Prometheus, Grafana, …)
- Deep expertise in modern software development tools / ways of working (e.g., git/GitHub, DevOps tools, metrics / monitoring, …) and with agile software development environments to provide devops services and solutions.
- Application experience of CI/CD implementations using git and a common CI/CD stack (e.g., Jenkins, GitLab, .etc)
- Experience with global enterprise networks, including address management schemes, VPN, SD-WAN dynamic routing protocols, switch management and modern network security protocols
- Experience in driving cloud use financial strategy to deliver economic value for the business
- Ability to to work in a hybrid environment and successfully manage a distributed team with world wide responsibilities
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Being industry recognized as an Cloud Computing Expert
- Demonstrated capability and expertise using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) environments to deploy and operate high performance computing systems at scale
- Cloud Operations Expertise as any of the following:
- AWS Certifications : Cloud Practitioner, Certified Developer, Certified DevOps Engineer
- Google Cloud Certifications: Foundational / Associate / Professional level certification
- Deep expertise in providing DevOps services and solutions support leading edge development teams
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $136,000 - $223,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.