Director, Revenue Accounting
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The accounting team at Planet is seeking a new Director, Revenue Accounting. You will work under the general direction of the Corporate Controller, and manage the global revenue team. In this role, you will lead the day to day operations of our global revenue accounting function, leveraging your technical expertise with US GAAP, and specifically ASC 606, to quickly identify accounting implications and impacts to contracting, pricing and sales strategy while collaborating with team members cross-functionally to develop operational processes that help us scale.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders (revenue operations, sales & finance strategy, legal, SEC reporting, etc.) to collaborate on enhancements to accounting and operational processes, new product offerings and non-routine transactions
- Lead global revenue accounting activities including technical revenue recognition assessments, SSP analysis, monthly revenue close, sales tax compliance management, and deal desk review
- Review revenue related monthly close activities, such as deferred revenue reconciliations, journal entries, analytics, financial reporting and reporting disclosures for revenue-related areas
- Partner with FP&A to understand revenue recognition impacts to forecasted results; Leverage reporting tools to develop, monitor and report on key KPIs to executive levels of management
- Identify risk areas in a high growth environment and implement mitigation strategies, including but not limited to team structure, workflow, cross-functional collaboration and system and process changes
- Enhance existing operational processes to provide good service to our business partners while ensuring efficiency and accuracy and our results;
- Be the subject matter expert on NS/ARM functionality as it relates to the Order to Cash process and how it integrates with SFDC/CPQ
- Review revenue accounting conclusions and lead communication of those conclusions among internal and external stakeholders including auditors
- Maintain revenue accounting policies and advise on the implementation of new accounting conclusions
- Maintain relationship with external auditors, provide pragmatic solutions and alternatives to challenging audit requests and inquiries
- Participate actively in projects to streamline the revenue recognition process, including ERP or accounting software implementation;
- Drive career development for the revenue accounting team, providing the leadership and structure for the team to excel as the company grows
- Partner with SOX compliance team to maintain a strong controls environment
- Participate in key strategic initiatives and assist with other ad hoc projects
What You Bring:
- Exhibit our leadership capabilities of leading the team, leading themselves, and leading the business
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including active listening and the ability to articulate complex issues to a variety of audiences
- Proven record of mentoring and developing talent
- 10+ years of experience working in a combination of auditing and revenue accounting
- Strong analytical skills and experience working cross functionally with Finance, Legal and Sales to identify accounting issues proactively and research applicable US GAAP implications as necessary
- Strong technical revenue accounting knowledge of US GAAP and specifically ASC 606
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment; dependable with deliverables and deadlines, able to multi-task while maintaining an emphasis on quality
- Ability to work independently as well as lead a team to accomplish tasks
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Big 4 experience at a senior to manager level and/or a CPA license
- Experience with Salesforce CPQ, Netsuite, ARM preferred
- Ability to exercise judgment and high degree of discretion within broadly defined practices and policies in reaching conclusions with adequate level of rationale and documentation supported by qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Experience in a high growth, rapidly changing work environment
- Ability to work with a strong sense of urgency both as an individual contributor and as a team leader
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $126,000 - $223,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at (415)-829-3313 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.