Internal Controls Senior Manager
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is seeking an Internal Controls Senior Manager. You will work under the general direction of the Corporate Controller and oversee the design, implementation, evaluation, and documentation of internal controls. In this role, you will lead the day-to-day operations of our SOX compliance program, leveraging your technical expertise with internal control assessments. You will also lead the planning and coordination with external consultants and auditors to ensure effective execution of the SOX compliance program.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Oversees the design, implementation, evaluation, and documentation of internal controls
- Leads the execution of management's SOX risk assessment and scoping activities to ensure proper risk identification, process mapping, and internal controls linkage for a sustainable internal control framework
- Partners with external consultants to plan and execute the annual assessment of internal controls over financial reporting
- Partners with members of the accounting and finance teams, the IT team and other business process owners to improve efficiency of the financial controls environment through implementation of automation or process improvements globally across core business processes
- Develops processes and policies for reporting findings and leads the communication of those findings to stakeholders
- Collaborates with process owners in the development of remediation plans and ensures the adequacy of remediation actions taken by management until satisfactory resolution
- Reviews testing prepared by others of the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting
- Builds solid relationships across Finance, Product, IT, Legal, external consultants, external audit and other stakeholders
- Maintains appropriate documentation of process narratives, flow charts and risk assessment documentation
- Leads the coordination and commutation with the external auditor for matters relating to internal controls over financial reporting
- Assist with ad-hoc projects
What You Bring:
- Extensive experience with planning and executing internal control assessments in a public company environment
- Solid knowledge of SOX 404, US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements
- 7+ years with a public accounting firm and/or progressive experience in industry relating to internal controls, internal audit or risk management
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to present internal control and risk matters in an understandable way across various forums and levels of the organization with the right level of detail
- Excellent analytical skills including the ability to identify, assess and address risk, materiality and interdependencies and translate it into impact analysis for financial reporting and recommendations for improvement
- Experience with automated controls and IT General Computer Controls
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Big 4 public accounting firm experience working on publicly traded clients
- Experience with Salesforce CPQ, Netsuite
- Experience in a high growth, rapidly changing work environment
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $109,800 - $180,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at (415)-829-3313 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.