Second Line Credit Risk Review
Who we are:
Shape a brighter financial future with us.
Together with our members, we’re changing the way people think about and interact with personal finance.
We’re a next-generation fintech company using innovative, mobile-first technology to help our millions of members reach their goals. The industry is going through an unprecedented transformation, and we’re at the forefront. We’re proud to come to work every day knowing that what we do has a direct impact on people’s lives, with our core values guiding us every step of the way. Join us to invest in yourself, your career, and the financial world.
The Loan Review Leader for the Second Line of Defense in our OCC-regulated bank leads the Consumer Loan Review team. This team independently evaluates the quality of lending practices against credit policies and practices. The role involves providing examination reports and summary information to inform the Board, senior management, and regulatory partners about credit risk conditions and trends while assessing the strength of credit-related controls. The Loan Review Leader will also engage with senior leadership and lending personnel to identify significant credit risk areas and suggest lending policies and practices improvements.
This role is pivotal in assessing and enhancing the quality of lending practices, ensuring regulatory compliance, and promoting a strong risk culture within the organization. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership, analytical prowess, and a track record of successful interactions with external regulators and internal auditors while contributing to the bank's ongoing risk management efforts.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and manage the Consumer Loan Review team, ensuring their effectiveness and efficiency in evaluating lending practices.
- Set performance expectations, provide guidance, and conduct regular performance reviews.
Examination and Reporting:
- Oversee the examination process to assess the quality of lending practices against established policies and practices.
- Prepare and deliver examination reports and summary information to the Board, senior management, and regulatory partners.
- Maintain a focus on credit risk conditions, trends, and controls.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and lending personnel to identify and address significant credit risk areas.
- Recommend improvements to lending policies and practices based on credit challenges with policy owners and document the findings.
Oversight and Scheduling:
- Ensure proper oversight of credit risk functions by strategically scheduling reviews with the 1st line of defense credit policy owners.
- Manage a geographically dispersed and diverse team of transaction testing to provide comprehensive coverage.
Collections Risk and Operations Reviews:
- Implement collections risk and operations reviews as part of full-scope examinations.
- Enhance the bank's understanding of collections risk and operational effectiveness.
Policy and Documentation Enhancement:
- Review credit/collections policies, procedures, and documentation to align with examination practices and improve the efficiency of examination processes.
- Promote an enhanced risk culture within the organization.
- Develop and implement a Continuous Monitoring framework for consumer business units.
- Ensure ongoing surveillance of credit risk conditions.
Regulatory and Audit Interaction:
- Maintain ongoing interaction with external regulators and internal auditors.
- Achieve successful examination outcomes in compliance with regulatory requirements.
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or a related field. Advanced degree or relevant certifications (e.g., CFA, CRCM) is a plus.
- Extensive experience in credit risk management, credit analysis, or a related field within a financial institution, with a strong background in consumer lending and risk assessment.
- Knowledge of OCC regulations and guidelines related to credit risk management.
- Strong leadership and team management skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and influence stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to maintaining high-quality standards.
- Proficiency in relevant software and tools for credit analysis and reporting.
- This position may require occasional domestic and international travel to meet with team members, regulators, and auditors.
- Normal office hours with occasional overtime during peak periods or special projects.