Enterprise Risk Management, Risk Appetite Manager
Who we are:
Shape a brighter financial future with us.
Together with our members, we’re changing the way people think about and interact with personal finance.
We’re a next-generation fintech company using innovative, mobile-first technology to help our millions of members reach their goals. The industry is going through an unprecedented transformation, and we’re at the forefront. We’re proud to come to work every day knowing that what we do has a direct impact on people’s lives, with our core values guiding us every step of the way. Join us to invest in yourself, your career, and the financial world.
The Risk Appetite Manager role will be responsible for supporting the Risk Appetite program including the monthly reporting and monitoring of RAS metrics as well as the annual review and refresh of risk appetite statements, supporting metrics, thresholds in alignment with the company’s strategic objectives. Ensure program governance requirements are adhered to and actively engage metric metric owners to ensure timely and accurate reporting of monthly RAS metrics, and ensuring breaches of defined metric limits are appropriately documented along with appropriate risk mitigation actions.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting the ongoing enhancement of the Risk Appetite Framework, including policy, standards, procedures, and training to support the program.
- Coordinating and leading annual working sessions, in partnership with Independent Risk Management and the business to assess the business strategy, objectives and key risks to develop risk appetite statements and supporting metrics and tolerances.
- Credible challenge of proposed Risk Appetite Statements, metrics, tolerances and mitigation actions when metrics breach thresholds.
- Monitoring RAS level metrics as well as select management-level KRI/KPIs that can indicate negative and/or material risk trends.
- Managing the timely reporting of RAS metrics, assessing reporting against set thresholds and holding metric owners accountable for breach protocols and mitigation actions.
- Ensuring timely and accurate reporting and escalation of RAS metrics and breaches across various management and board-level risk committees.
- Annually reviewing and enhancing the Risk Appetite Framework policy and standards, when applicable.
- Managing the Risk Appetite technology requirements and data validation activities.
What you’ll do:
- Innovate and support the development of SoFi’s Risk Appetite Framework, and incorporate best practices and innovative solutions.
- Challenge Status Quo in the build-out of comprehensive policies, standards, procedures and training for SoFi's Risk Appetite Framework that delivers on industry best practices, drives meaningful strategic insight, and provides a path from good-to-great.
- Provide Credible Challenge, as the second line of defense, to ensure SoFi is operating within risk limits.
- Analyze new activity and emerging risks in partnership with Independent Risk Management to ensure risk taking activities are measured and monitored in line with the company’s strategic business goals and within risk appetite.
- Inspire our rapidly growing team, promoting company values and industry best practices by sharing your broad experience across the organization.
- Collaborate with Independent Risk Management and business groups to assess new and emerging risks.
- Manage the Enterprise Risk Appetite Program including updating/managing the company’s Risk Appetite Statements, metrics and related governance requirements.
- Ensure the overall program integrates with other governance programs and adheres to industry best practices and regulatory expectations.
- Develop requirements and support the assessment, selection and implementation of the technology platform to serve as the system of record for the program.
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years of relevant experience developing/managing Risk Appetite Framework, Key Indicator Program and supporting processes
- Experience identifying, assessing, and monitoring relevant risks and impact to overall risk profile
- Knowledge of the fintech environment across unique products and services (secured and unsecured credit, deposit, investment, payments, banking as a service) with both domestic and international operating structure.
- Proven success in team environment with effective leadership and strong influence/negotiation skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, and ability to interact clearly and concisely at all levels of the organization with appropriately tailored messaging
- Ability to draw conclusions and provide recommendations in a clear, concise, and constructive manner, both orally and in writing
- Comfort utilizing and maintaining a GRC system workflow
- Independent self-starter who can manage multiple activities and competing priorities within defined deadlines.
- Exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills, and a strong attention to detail.
- Strong leadership, management skills
- Ability to manage initiatives ensuring high quality and timely delivery in a fast paced environment
- Strong knowledge of regulations governing the financial industry
- Ability to work across all risk categories and business lines to deliver results.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to see the “big picture” and linkages between risk programs and data.
- Ability to collaborate with others in owning deliverables.
- Proven ability to adjust quickly to shifting priorities, multiple demands, ambiguity and rapid change.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus