Data Scientist / Sr Data Scientist - Global Marketing
Marketing & Communications, Data Science
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Marketing data science informs decisions across Uber’s global marketing efforts, accelerating both demand and supply growth worldwide. We leverage advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, or data mining techniques in a scalable manner including large scale data processing such as Spark, Hive, and Uber’s proprietary machine learning platform, and more. About The RoleWe're growing our teams across Marketing Science and looking for Data Scientists to provide data expertise as we improve the growth, retention, engagement, and brand affinity of the eaters on the Uber platform. In the role, you'll be part of and collaborate with a cross-functional team consisting of strategy, design, development, program, and operation managers!You possess a passion for improving techniques, processes, tracking, analytical insights, and technology used by marketing to achieve our bold goals. You will help address the complex challenges of experiment design, budget allocation, marketing effectiveness, contact strategy, return on investment, user behavior, and channel effectiveness using innovative machine learning models.As a member of the team, you will not only be able to work with data, but also help define the way marketing performance is calibrated and what questions should be asked. You'll play a huge part in finding opportunity fields to help the marketing function scale as we develop onboarding, engagement and retention strategies! You will also learn and apply advanced analytics skills like experimental design, statistical modeling, and more. About The TeamsWe are a key part of Uber's cross-functional marketing science teams, helping to drive every stage of marketing communications (organic and paid) through data analytics, statistical, and algorithmic expertise. Here are the teams that make it happen: Global Marketing: Our team owns the experimentation, strategic analysis, measurement, and reporting across Brand, Product Marketing, Merchants, and Partnership initiatives across Uber, Uber Eats, Postmates, and Uber One. Web: Our team owns the experimentation, strategic analysis, measurement, and reporting across all of Uber’s web platforms. We’re in the outstanding position of touching almost every line of business across Uber, giving us an appreciation of the levers that come together to drive growth for the business as a whole. Survey Science: Our team owns the measurement, analysis, and reporting of brand health, tracker surveys, and experiment-related surveys for both lines of business (Mobility and Delivery) for our key global markets. Using insights from sentiment and behavioral data, we work cross-functionally with other scientists, researchers, and marketers to improve growth, retention, and engagement of Uber and Uber Eats users. What You'll Do
- Mine data and analytics at the customer level to gain a better understanding of their usage behaviors, including impacts of current marketing strategies.
- Use non-individual level measurement methods when applicable, like market-level testing, to help understand the impact of marketing spend and the related return it can drive.
- Use sophisticated modeling techniques such as causal inference to undercover insights related to user behavior.
- Collaborate closely with Applied Sciences to understand the ins and outs of various machine learning models, as well as help, understand their performance and areas of improvement.
- Work closely with the paid and CRM marketing teams and be responsible for campaign pre and post-analysis, cohorting, experiment design, segmentation, KPI measurement, and more.
- Collaborate on cross-functional project planning/prioritization meetings, business partner meetings, data prioritization meetings, etc.
- Choose the accurate metrics and understand current/future experiments.
- Implement and analyze A/B or Multivariate Tests to provide measurable insights to the marketing team.
- Present findings to senior management to drive business and marketing decisions.
- Develop dashboards that provide reliable insights and visualization.
- Use tools such as Google Sheet, Jupyter notebooks, and many internal tools to work efficiently at scale.
- Be a key driver of marketing strategy, by thinking beyond immediate analysis to understand the long-term implications of actions.
- M.S. or Bachelors degree in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor’s degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience as a Data Scientist or equivalent)
- Advanced SQL expertise
- Basic understanding of experimental design (such as A/B experiments) and statistical methods
- Ability and experience in extracting insights from data, and summarizing learnings / takeaways
- Experience with Excel and some dashboarding/data visualization (i.e. Tableau, Mixpanel, Looker, or similar)
- Marketing/product data science or consulting experience
- Paid Media experience (ie. Programmatic, Facebook, Paid Search, YouTube, Audio, etc)
- Advanced experimentation experience including multivariate and causal analysis
- Speed, resourcefulness, and a go-getter attitude
- AdTech experience is a plus
- Understanding of econometric modeling and how to apply models to measure marketing efficiency and optimize spend, flighting and mix to improve return on ad spend (i.e., MMM)
- Proven understanding of source data, its strengths, weaknesses, semantics, and formats; solid knowledge of logical and physical data modeling concepts (relational and dimensional)
- Someone who is willing to supply new insights and articulate them to a variety of business partners and not just execute on existing ones
See more open positions at Uber
Something looks off?