Sr. Technical Product Manager- Platform
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2023
About The Team Platform Engineering Team: The Platform Engineering team is a centralized team that provides infrastructure at scale and develops and maintains the underpinning technology stack that powers the rest of Uber. It focuses on areas such as Developer productivity, Production Engineering, Core Infrastructure, and Data Sciences. This team sets the pace of software development by creating a seamless developer experience for our Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process. It houses the production engineering/SRE and observability practices that develop highly innovative tools and best practices for reliable and safe deployment of services. This team manages Uber’s massive infrastructure efficiently, safely, and for high scale. The Platform Engineering Data Science team provides insights and analytical solutions that are timely, accurate, and actionable to power our platform. Thus, the Platform Engineering team delivers a truly differentiating customer-facing experience across Uber Eats, Rides, and Freight and makes Uber a world-class organization that attracts the best talent in the industry. About The RoleA top-notch production engineering experience is critical to Uber’s success. Uber has thousands of engineers who deploy and maintain several thousand microservices. In order for Uber to provide the best customer experience, it is essential for all engineers to be able to efficiently, reliably and securely run high-quality code in production environments. Our engineers must be able to test and mitigate issues early and they must be able to do this with minimum disruption to their productivity. This is only possible with a production architecture that focuses on reliability and security and has an integrated continuous delivery pipeline that can run at Uber’s scale.The Product Management role within the Platform Engineering organization owns Uber’s reliability solutions and is supported by a dedicated engineering team, product designers, data scientists and internal stakeholder teams.As a Senior Product Manager for Platform Engineering, you will use your quantitative skill set, customer obsession, empathy, and collaborative spirit to innovate and offer effective industry-leading platform engineering products and solutions. You have a desire to possess the best product skills and continuously improve by doing and learning. What You'll Do
- Own and drive Uber’s platform engineering product roadmap, strategy, and execution by partnering closely with Uber’s Platform engineering team.
- Define how our teams measure success, by developing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and OKRs.
- Partner with your customers namely Uber’s engineering team to understand their problems, offer solutions and drive the adoption of those solutions.
- Bring industry leading best practices and thought leadership for production engineering to Uber.
- 5+ years of experience in Technical Product Management, preferably in engineering.
- M.S. or Bachelors degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields
- Experience working with continuous delivery pipelines, reliability architectures, load testing, experimentation.
- Experience running infrastructure or managing reliability products at public cloud technologies is a plus.
- Prior experience working with site reliability engineering (SRE), deployment Ops and/or Operations teams in SaaS environments.
- Ability and experience in extracting insights from data, and summarizing learnings/takeaways
- Experience in and understanding distributed systems and in particular microservices architectures (Eg: Kubernetes, service meshes) is highly desirable.
- Strong storytelling: distill interesting and hard-to-find insights into a compelling, concise data story
- Ability to communicate effectively and manage relationships with partners coming from both technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Strong judgment, critical thinking, and decision-making skills
- Ability to define complex business problems and articulate requirements that cross multiple product/project areas and teams
- Athlete, who can learn technical skills quickly and be highly effective on several products based on a strong product management background.
- Balance attention to detail with swift execution