Product Counsel, AI & ADM
Software Engineering, Product, Legal, Data Science
North Holland, Netherlands
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
About The TeamTh|e EMEA Legal Team is a diverse group of talented legal professionals working in a fast-paced environment and focused on solving some of the most exciting, cutting-edge legal challenges in the world. While headquartered in Amsterdam, the team includes members spread across the EMEA region, working in close collaboration with each other and with the wider Global Legal Team, including specialist experts like Uber's Core Technologies Legal Team, based in San Francisco.This role will serve as front-line legal support for exciting transformations of Uber’s platform technologies and the emergence of new technologies at Uber. This role will be part of a committed, collaborative team that provides high quality product and commercial advice that ensures the expertise of Uber's entire Legal Department is brought to bear on the partnerships, products, processes, and systems that power Uber’s technology development engine. About The RoleWe’re looking for an exceptional attorney based in Amsterdam, to advise on a constantly-evolving portfolio of products that involve Cloud and Artificial Intelligence technologies and capabilities. This position requires a strategic approach to developing the partnerships, structures and internal processes necessary to manage the development, licensing and deployment of AI products at global scale, taking into consideration the unique and ever-evolving regulatory challenges in all our global markets. It also requires someone with the know-how to provide clear tactical guidance to legal and non-legal stakeholders in an understandable and actionable format.What you will do
- Own, manage and autonomously drive forward product counseling to the Amsterdam-based engineering team.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to develop and review product specifications, and system changes to identify potential policy, safety or legal issues related to Uber’s existing and planned AI product deployments.
- Provide pragmatic advice and risk mitigation recommendations to cross-functional teams.
- Lead the development of legal guidelines, checklists and controls to ensure new and existing products meet key standards, and support execution against and enforcement of such standards. This will include ethics, consumer protection, trust and safety controls, and IP.
- Identify new approaches to educating and informing our employees on industry and academic insights and research.
- Monitor pending legislation in the EU, the EMEA region, and beyond, and actively track best practices regarding AI governance to ensure systems remain compliant as laws change. Effectively communicate potential impacts to colleagues across roles and seniority levels.
- Educate teams on emerging policy issues, legal responsibilities, and safe AI practices. Deliver tailored advice and training to employees working on AI/generative systems and products.
- Work with external legal counsel and technical experts, as required to advance understanding, set appropriate controls, and address risks.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues on other legal teams at Uber, including specialists across IP, Employment, Safety, Privacy and Cybersecurity, Litigation and Competition.
- Be an active and trusted business partner to a wide variety of leaders and stakeholders across Uber. It's our job to peer around corners for the business and ensure that we are well-positioned for the future.
- Be a strong communicator and collaborator to support and develop a high-performing, diverse team that achieves our legal and business priorities.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of legal experience in private practice, government, and/or in-house.
- Strong academic credentials and law degree from a top law school or university (qualification to practice law in an EU country a plus)
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English (additional language skills a plus)
- Based in (or willing to relocate to) Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Specific expertise in laws governing AI in the EU, the EMEA region, and beyond
- Familiarity with machine learning including deep learning and generative models and products.
- Experience providing product-legal support (experience at a global technology company strongly preferred).
- Broad understanding of key issues in data governance, ethics, fairness, and equity for machine learning and AI.
- Strong team orientation, with confidence and flexibility to perform in nimble, rapidly changing and complex environments.
- Collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others.
- Experience comparing and contrasting regulations in multiple global markets.
- Superior analytical and legal skills, mature judgment, innovative thinking and a desire to take the initiative and think two steps ahead.
- Ability to translate complex legal issues and ambiguity into clear and simple advice, to communicate effectively with non-legal internal colleagues, and to interface with a broad range of senior business managers, executives and other colleagues and professionals across our company.
- History of driving efficient and strategic use of resources, including technical groups, in-house counsel, vendors, and outside counsel.
- Growth mindset, with a passion for AI's potential to positively impact the world and a realistic assessment of its risks and limitations.
- Commitment to leveraging AI systems in a trustworthy, ethical way.
- Embody the highest standards of integrity, ethics and accountability.
- Enthusiasm about Uber and our mission!