Senior Applied Scientist
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2023
Job DescriptionApplied Scientists at Uber use data to improve and automate all aspects of Uber's core rideshare and delivery products. You will be joining the Earner team, which owns our product experience for drivers and couriers. You will work on designing algorithms, building models and implementing products and policies that maintain reliability and improve the efficiency of Uber’s marketplace.We are looking for experienced candidates with a passion for solving new and difficult problems with data. In this role, you will be able to use your strong quantitative skills in the fields of machine learning, statistics, economics, operations research to improve the Uber earner experience as well as the overall marketplace performance. About The RoleThe Vehicles and Sustainability tech team is hiring a Senior Applied Scientist with a passion for solving new and difficult problems with data! Together we will be building the technologies and leading the product development for both Uber mobility and delivery sustainability. You'll be responsible for defining problems, designing models, implementing, coding and deploying models to Uber production systems and ensuring product success. Sitting in the driver seat to lead multi-functional partnership with engineering, product management, operations, business development and policy to get results. You will be the primary person working with other applied scientists and data scientists to help Uber meet its sustainability goals. What You'll Do
- Design, build, deploy machine learning, statistical, optimization models into Uber production systems for a wide range of applications.
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams across areas such as product, engineering, operations, and marketing to drive system development end-to-end from conceptualisation to productionization.
- Drive technical collaboration and alignment with core marketplace science and engineering teams such as pricing, matching, ranking, maps on relevant product and tech levers.
- Understanding product performance and to find opportunities within data.
- Present findings to senior management to influence business decisions.
- Ph.D., M.S., or Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields.
- 3+ years of proven experience as an Applied Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, Research Scientist, Software Engineer or equivalent.
- Experience in production coding and deploying ML, statistical, optimization models in real-time systems.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics.
- Ability to use Python or other programming languages to work efficiently at scale with large data sets in production systems.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- 5+ years of experience in the tech industry working on ML, AI or other production systems.
- Designing and developing algorithms to productionizing and deploying models for real-time systems.
- Thought leadership to drive multi-functional projects from conceptualisation to productionization.
- Well-honed communication and presentation skills.