Director, Product Design - Horizontals
About the Role
The Director of Product Design will lead a dynamic, cross-functional product design team with a focus on key product areas: Customer Obsession, Uber for Business, Payment, Risk, and Identity. As a crucial part of the cross-functional leadership, you'll play a key role in delivering exceptional customer experiences across mobile and web platforms for Riders, Drivers, Eaters, and Businesses using Uber. This entails harnessing state-of-the-art technologies, the latest in machine learning, data science techniques, and design thinking to achieve unprecedented scale in the industry.
This role demands a deep understanding of technology and the competitive landscape, particularly in constructing enterprise and consumer experiences related to payment, risk, and identity. You'll need to grasp Uber's product ecosystem in conjunction with Mobility and Delivery, utilizing the platform to craft an enhanced Uber for Business product experience. This involves granting organizations more control, deeper insights, and features tailored for enterprise users. Utilize customer insights and product data to drive problem-solving solutions and provide a visionary direction for the teams to meet business goals.
The leadership role has an emphasis on business impact and addressing customer pain points. Maintain a focus on being trip-obsessed and customer-centric. Leverage user research and business data to define problems, collaborate seamlessly with Mobility and Delivery teams, and employ design systems to create intuitive and delightful product experiences. Lead teams in executing within a fast-paced environment, prioritizing both quality and outcomes.
What You’ll Do
- Lead with customer obsession, guide towards strong user experience, and strategically leverage user research and data insights
- Create a design vision for a large organization, work closely with the brand team and marketplace, and define a narrative that inspires creativity in the group and unlocks their potential and Uber's
- Increase the entire team's effectiveness and be the example-setter where teams throughout the organization will celebrate, emulate, and leverage your processes
- Align with Uber's company cultural values. Create a culture of belonging, wellness, diversity, inclusion, and career growth for the product design organization
- Be a key Product Design Leadership team member to elevate the Uber design team and be responsible for the operating structure and team culture
- Lead with vision while being a collaborator to rally cross-functional partners to achieve the goals together
- Set a high bar for quality, push for craft, delightful, and inclusive user experience
- System-level thinking, can translate vision into tangible actions
- Work horizontally, know how to influence and contribute across organizations
- Manage the team with compassion, develop senior talents, and bring out their best work
- Teach the soft and hard skills that shape leaders to become the collaborative glue that inspires product management and engineering while also developing their core competencies of product design
- Hire excellent people and build a strong team that can take Uber to new levels of excellence
What You’ll Need
- 12+ years of relevant experience in design and 5+ years of management experience.
- Experience leading and scaling product design team
- Experience with both Mobile and Web product design
- Experience building Fintech product or a payment system in both consumer and enterprise platform
- Experience building enterprise products
For San Francisco, CA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is USD$252,000 per year - USD$280,000 per year.
You will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.