Director, Product Design - Foundations
About the Role
The Foundations team focuses on creating the design system and tooling to enable Uber to produce quality product experiences at scale. We foster a culture of building inclusive experiences by enabling teams to prioritize the perspectives of historically and systemically excluded communities.
Leading the foundation team demands robust collaboration and proactive communication. The design system serves as the bedrock for the entire Uber product user experience. Successful adoption of this system requires the leader to establish strong working relationships with both Mobility and Delivery teams, fostering collaboration not only within design but also with product management and engineering. This collaborative spirit extends to product Equity initiatives, making it crucial for the leader to act as a connector, rallying all teams from the front and behind.
A leadership role of this nature necessitates leading with vision and taking decisive action. Given the horizontal influence and numerous dependencies, the leader must proactively drive initiatives with a 'can do' attitude.
Join our team to lead with vision, working alongside interaction design, content strategy, and exploratory and evaluative research team members. Collaborate with cross-functional partners to make a meaningful impact on Uber's product experience.
What You’ll Do
- Lead with customer obsession, guide towards strong user experience, and strategically leverage user research and data insights
- Create a design vision for a large organization, work closely with the brand team and marketplace, and define a narrative that inspires creativity in the group and unlocks their potential and Uber's
- Increase the entire team's effectiveness and be the example-setter where teams throughout the organization will celebrate, emulate, and leverage your processes
- Align with Uber's company cultural values. Create a culture of belonging, wellness, diversity, inclusion, and career growth for the product design organization
- Be a key Product Design Leadership team member to elevate the Uber design team and be responsible for the operating structure and team culture
- Set the quality bar high, push for craft, delightful, and inclusive user experience
- Lead with vision while being a collaborator to rally cross-functional partners to achieve the goals together
- System-level thinking, translating vision into tangible actions
- Manage the team with compassion, develop senior talents, and bring out their best work
- Teach the soft and hard skills that shape leaders to become the collaborative glue that inspires product management and engineering while also developing their core competencies of product design
- Hire excellent people and build a strong team that can take Uber to new levels of excellence
What You’ll Need
- 12+ years of relevant experience in design and 5+ years of management experience.
- Experience leading and scaling product design team
- Experience with mobile product design
- Experience with building a design system
- Experience leading internal tools
- Passionate about bringing equity to products and platforms
For San Francisco, CA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is USD$252,000 per year - USD$280,000 per year.
You will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.