Senior Operations Manager - Uber Direct, Germany
About the role
Since 2020, Delivery at Uber has grown tremendously on the back of increased demand caused by the pandemic. Merchants across all categories have increased their investment and interest in their digital and delivery offering. Without having their own on-demand logistics capability, merchants are looking for a partner who can fulfill the requirement for last-mile delivery. With millions of drivers and couriers providing on-demand logistics through our existing marketplaces, Uber is well positioned to allow merchants to use our network of couriers, fulfilling the on-demand last-mile-delivery service for orders from their own app and website.
Uber Direct is a new business that focuses on last-mile delivery across all verticals - Online Food Delivery, Grocery, Retail, Ecommerce - empowering merchants to deliver orders generated on their own channels (outside of Uber’s marketplaces) with the most convenient experience. Direct is rapidly growing the ways in which Uber connects the world. Uber Direct has the potential to be our next multi-billion dollar business.
This role will be a part of a newly formed Direct team in Germany, and will be working very closely with the Uber Eats and New Verticals teams in Germany, the EMEA central Direct team and cross-functional counterparts.
As Operations Manager for Uber Direct in Germany, you’ll be in charge of the Uber Direct operations function in Germany, supporting the team in driving and growing our last-mile delivery business and strategy in Germany. You'll be responsible for developing data-driven insights, crafting strategies, and scaling impactful and innovative business initiatives.
This is particularly important as we venture into new business opportunities that require innovative approaches to solve merchants’ and end-customers’ expectations.
- Min 4 years of experience working in a Startup, Consulting, Operations, Logistics or other relevant experience
- Analytical & critical thinking and experience with data-driven decision-making, ability to deal with data (reports, experiments, pricing models) and exercise good judgment in ambiguous circumstances and effectively communicating to a cross-functional team and senior internal and external stakeholders
- Business acumen, ability to seize and prioritize opportunities based on feasibility and potential impact
- High adaptability to change and ability to execute quickly. Able to pivot from long-term thinking to immediate action and tactical responses
- Entrepreneurial mindset and proactivity, ability to own end-to-end projects from conceptual strategic thinking to actually getting things done
- Excellent Excel / Google Sheets skills
- Proficiency in English and German
- Experience with SQL is a plus, needs to be comfortable learning and using new software tools
- Industry knowledge in the on-demand / same-day delivery space
What the candidate will do
As Uber Direct Operations Manager, you will be a strategic partner to the Uber Direct team, and a key player in supporting the growth of the Germany business:
- Monitor business activity & analyze data- With the help of Uber's rich dataset, you will supervise market performance, understand our customers' challenges and always look for ways to improve our operations. You will build analytical frameworks, operational models and dashboards to closely monitor and improve our operations, as well as supporting the Uber Direct Germany team with key insights.
- Build & optimize scalable process & tools - Create the relevant Uber Direct processes to ensure that we are working towards a flawless operation and strong unit economics. Build the right tools for our teams in the field and for our customers to scale seamlessly. You’ll work closely with the Central Operations and Commercial teams to improve both Merchants’ and Couriers’ (delivery person) experience!
- Be the voice of the German market toward product teams- Maintain links between on-the-ground teams and our Product teams for everything we need to build on the Product front for our Direct business. Be the voice of the German market, helping to prioritize future product changes, and help launch new product features. You will also need to collaborate and lead projects involving cross-functional teams like Legal, Employment, Comms&PR, Support, etc.
- Support Account Management and Sales teams on strategic partnerships - Your role will directly contribute to the business growth and to the satisfaction of our customers. Work hand in hand with the Sales and Account Management teams to support their merchants' interactions (pitch, problem solving, business reviews, etc.)
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.