Sr Staff Engineer - Earner Growth
About the Team & Role
The Growth Levers team in Amsterdam is building and evolving the Incentives Platform, which enables experiences and tools for reliable, configurable, and intelligent incentives lifecycle management. The platform enables end-to-end incentives experience enabling cost-efficient entity growth through acquisition, retention, and resurrection. The Platform enables incentives use-cases of multiple Uber platforms, contributing to the growth of vital entities such as Drivers, Riders, Couriers, and Vehicles.
The team is full-stack and cross-functional. There will be significant, challenging problems in the Backend, Frontend, Data and ML engineering spaces, and the team will have embedded collaborators from Product Management, Design, and Data Science.
As part of the team, you will have direct responsibility for vital systems and processes. You will take ownership of key features and initiatives in crafting and building high-quality, scalable systems to make incentives reliable and efficient. Your work will directly impact the lives of Uber’s partners (drivers, couriers, vehicles), riders, eaters and operations teams across the globe.
What You Will Do
- Direct efforts within the organization to understand requirements and consolidate and translate strategically important business or technical problems into executable and extensible designs.
- Lead all aspects of design development that incorporates current short- and long-term needs, and can be extended for future needs.
- Address systemic issues, needs, and business requirements of various customers and teams, the ease of adoption, and documentation.
- Identify and advocate for strategic investments in extensible solutions within the organization, and build extensible solutions capable of reuse or integration to avoid redundant development.
- Serve as a resource for the team to connect them with broader engineering directions and initiatives.
- Scale up initiatives quickly, leveraging and assigning appropriate resources to various tasks and sub-tasks, and facilitating rapid movement towards end-goal.
- Set the standard of the engineering and/or people culture within their organization.
- Serve as a role model for mentoring and developing engineers into impactful citizens of Uber engineering.
- Define standards in testing, monitoring, and alerting systems and lead organizations to complete them.
- 10+ years of experience as a software engineer and building large-scale distributed systems
- Coding chops, clean, elegant, bug-free code in languages like Java, GO
- Must have led teams of engineers to deliver autonomously on large multi-functionally driven projects
- Skilled in architecture: Solid understanding of distributed systems architecture - consensus, convergence, data consistency, and performance/efficiency constructs
- Strong desire to learn and grow, while building the best-in-class systems
- Experienced at Cross Team Communication: Strong flair for effective communication and collaboration - you know when to push on and when to step back. We work closely with several groups and supporting these other groups is a key part of scaling our business.
- Push the bar on engineering standard processes and help leaders build a strong engineering culture
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
- Ability to Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues
- Experience across the Tech Stack including Backend/Frontend/Data/ML
- Contributed to the broader technical community through tech talks, publications, open source projects, or other ways.
- Have a proven track record working across an organization not just across teams.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.