Automation Controls Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Machina Labs, founded in 2019 by aerospace and auto industry veterans, is a smart manufacturing company based in Los Angeles, California. Enabled by advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics, Machina Labs is developing software-defined factories of the future. The mission of the company is to develop modular manufacturing solutions that can be reconfigured to manufacture new products simply by changing the software. The company is currently working to build the first commercial robotic sheet metal forming machine. Machina Labs is funded and backed by major investors in the field of AI and Deep Tech.
As an early member of our small team, you will own a significant portion of our product and the company. As an Automation Controls Engineer, you will be in charge of designing, developing, and operating robotic systems that enable the next generation of manufacturing automation. Ideally, you are someone who has worked as a robotic integration engineer and excited about enabling new manufacturing technologies by integrating fast-paced advancements in technologies such as artificial intelligence and computational geometry developed by our team. You will work with both outside vendors and team members to design, integrate, and troubleshoot custom industrial robotic systems. You will be pioneering development of new robotic end-effectors, sensors, and novel manufacturing operations. You are in charge of purchasing and installing industrial robotic arms, integrating tooling and sensors (ATI, Keyence, etc.), developing and maintaining control and safety PLC systems, and working on closed loop control software in our new manufacturing cells. In our small, yet quickly expanding team, your input will directly impact team composition and direction of the product. A high degree of autonomy, leadership ability, and technical experience is required.
- Architect, write, and debug PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable for high-volume manufacturing applications.
- Configure, prepare and integrate industrial controls hardware and electrical components for on site integration.
- Develop and execute test plans for validating control hardware functionality.
- Preparation and integration of cable routing plans and schedules.
- Perform diagnostics and remediation on faulty control hardware and control systems.
- Develop custom robot application code to interface with new technologies.
- Integration of safety systems for automation cells (estops, lockout fences, robot safety interface, etc.)
- Setup and test field bus networks (CAN, Ethernet, etc.)
- Create technical documentation for electromechanical systems (wiring diagrams, BOMs, etc.)
- Write machine and work cell documentation, manuals, and spare parts lists as required.
- Develop, implement and test robotic algorithms (kinematics, dynamics, controls, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, physics, or computer science discipline.
- 2+ years extensive experience in industrial robotic programming and applications.
- Experience with PLC integration and programming.
- Experience with structured text type programming.
- Knowledge of 1+ programming languages (ex. Python, C++).
- Mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills.
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design and manufacturing environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience solving complex problems on schedule with minimal supervision, both individually and as a member of a team.
- $110,000 - $145,000 annually + equity
See more open positions at Machina Labs
Something looks off?