Software Engineering Manager
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2023
Machina Labs is a smart manufacturing company backed by major investors in AI and Deep Tech (Innovation Endeavors, Lockheed Martin Ventures), founded in 2019 and based in Chatsworth, CA. We are on a mission to build the factory of the future through the development of modular manufacturing solutions that allow our customers to rapidly produce and iterate on their designs by utilizing our robotic sheet metal forming platform. Using our first-of-its-kind software and robotics solution, we are delivering unseen innovation to industries such as aerospace, automotive and space exploration. At Machina Labs, we believe anyone can become a crafts(wo)man and bring that attitude to our work every day, come and join us!
The software team at Machina Labs is working to expose our disruptive robotic manufacturing process to designers, engineers, and business users across sectors like aerospace, heavy industry, and automotive. Critical parts of planes, cars, rockets, and more that currently take months to manufacture today can be made in hours within the Machina Labs Dev Suite.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you’ll lead a diverse team of software engineers and own applications that put powerful and intuitive interfaces over our robotic manufacturing cells – these interfaces allow users to perform AI-assisted design tasks, request new designs from robots, and report on the manufacturing process using a variety of sensing technology designed in house.
You’ll work alongside other software engineers, roboticists, mechanical engineers, and material scientists to advance our mission to un-constrain innovation in manufacturing. Our HQ in Los Angeles sits above our factory floor where we’re both designing systems and serving customers like NASA, Yamaha, and the U.S. Airforce.
What You'll Do
- Manage, mentor and grow our software teams acting as a people manager while also providing strong hands-on technical leadership
- Own end-to-end software experiences used by customer engineers and customer business users, as well as internal customers like factory technicians and process engineers.
- Deploy high-quality, observable software across web apps, command line developer tools, and apps running on robotic cells.
- Develop software infrastructure, team process and culture that enables subject matter experts across ML and robotics to ship stable features at high velocity into our product.
- Develop plans to achieve short- and long-term roadmap goals, balancing new customer-facing capabilities with tech debt and stability initiatives.
Who You Are
- A systems thinker who can design and communicate plans for complex software.
- An experienced people manager that understands how to get the most out of individual contributors and drive productivity across the team
- Ability to identify, attract and hire top software engineering talent
- Strong fundamentals in algorithm and data structures problems in your domain, as well as an ability to pick up the basics of Machina-specific topics like 3D geometry manipulation.
- An advocate for developer experience and productivity via strong tool choices, repo health, team habits, and infrastructure design.
- Ability to articulate and decide on tradeoffs around scope, business value, and user experience within a significant product area.
- 2+ years of Software Engineering Management experience, ideally within a rapidly growing environment
- Strong knowledge of engineering best practices and ability to implement high standards in code reviews, build processes, testing and deployment.
- Prior experience or knowledge in software environments with high infosec demands.
- Experience working in software development environments that touch hardware, physical sensors, advanced machine learning or deep tech topics.