Process Development Engineering Internship
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2023
Machina Labs, founded in 2019 by aerospace and auto industry veterans, is a smart manufacturing company based in Los Angeles, California. Enabled by advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics, Machina Labs is developing software-defined factories of the future. The mission of the company is to develop modular manufacturing solutions that can be reconfigured to manufacture new products simply by changing the software. The company is currently working to build the first commercial robotic sheet metal forming machine. Machina Labs is funded and backed by major investors in the field of AI and Deep Tech.
As a Process Development Engineer, you'll play a pivotal role that blends mechanical engineering, software engineering, computational geometry, and robotics expertise. Your primary responsibility will involve assisting in the transformation of customer computer-assisted design (CAD) files into efficient path plans for execution on our incremental sheet metal forming cells. This multidisciplinary position demands a diverse skill set and a holistic approach to problem-solving.
- Utilize your multidisciplinary skill set to interpret and process customer CAD files, translating them into optimized path plans for incremental sheet metal forming cells.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, leveraging mechanical engineering, software engineering, computational geometry, and robotics knowledge to develop innovative solutions for process optimization.
- Analyze and refine path planning algorithms to improve the efficiency and accuracy of forming cell operations.
- Conduct thorough testing and validation of path plans, ensuring compatibility and functionality within our manufacturing environment.
- Document and communicate findings, methodologies, and solutions for continuous improvement in forming cell processes
- Pursuing a Bachelor of Science (BS) in a STEM field such as Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering, or a related discipline, with a focus on manufacturing processes and robotics.
- Proficiency in software engineering, specifically in computational geometry and the development of path planning algorithms.
- Experience working with CAD files and translating them into executable path plans.
- Ability to integrate multiple disciplines to solve complex problems in a manufacturing setting.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
Nice to Have’s
- Familiarity with Solidworks or similar CAD software for design and modeling purposes.
- Familiarity with incremental sheet metal forming processes and related technologies.
- Previous experience in optimizing manufacturing processes using a multidisciplinary approach.
- Knowledge of software tools and frameworks related to computational geometry and path planning.