Process Development Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Machina Labs, founded in 2019 by aerospace and auto industry veterans, is a smart manufacturing company based in Los Angeles, California. Enabled by advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics, Machina Labs is developing software-defined factories of the future. The mission of the company is to develop modular manufacturing solutions that can be reconfigured to manufacture new products simply by changing the software. The company is currently working to build the first commercial robotic sheet metal forming machine. Machina Labs is funded and backed by major investors in the field of AI and Deep Tech.
In this role, you will use some of the most powerful 6-DOF robots to form sheet metal into customer parts. You will take ownership of customer projects, starting with design modifications for manufacturability, then path planning and operating robots to form prototype parts, and finally documenting process parameters to hand off to the production team. There is also a significant R&D component to the role; you will be designing and conducting experiments to determine optimal parameters for this new manufacturing method. Furthermore, as a user of the robotic manufacturing system, you will be responsible for identifying limitations, recommending areas of improvement to the teams that build the hardware and software components of the system, and testing hardware and software upgrades.
- B.S. of engineering in mechanical, manufacturing, industrial, aerospace, or related engineering field.
- 5+ years of industry experience (orfewer with MS/PhD).
- Desire to work in a fast-paced and rapidly evolvingstartup environment.
- Experience designing, testing, documenting, and executing manufacturing process improvements to move fast and stay lean.
- Ability to conduct root cause analysis and implement corrective actions.
- Demonstrated ability interfacing with interdisciplinary teams from software engineers to product managers to mechanical engineers.
- Experience with CAD software, CAM software, and CNC programming
- Hands-on experience working in a machine shop and upholding shop floor quality standards.
- In-depth understanding of accuracy/precision assessment and the principles of GD&T.
- Superb technical writing and communication skills.
- Strong mentality toward safety and occupational hazard prevention.
- Ability to own projects by creating end-to-end solutions with minimal oversight.
- Participation in the recruitment, hiring, and mentorship of other engineers is a plus.
- Experience in a production, integration & test, or design role.
- Ability to program scripts in Python.
- Proficient at surface modeling in CAD.
- Developed internal and external manufacturing processes capable of scaling to meet production demand.
- Prior participation in lean, safety, and compliance activities.
- Authored and/or revised technical documents (i.e. SOP, validation protocols, investigations, technical reports, etc.).